[CAUT] Louisiana State SOM Position

Mitch Staples staples.13 at osu.edu
Tue Jun 17 12:08:11 MDT 2008

I've been following this thread and I find myself agreeing with both sides
of the argument.

I've got three kids and I'm struggling to balance financial and parental
obligations.  It would be very nice not to have to do side work to make ends
meet.  On the other hand before the kids came along the extra hours didn't
bother me at all.

I came here from a dealership where I was getting full benefits and still
took a hefty 15% pay cut.  Of course I moved from Maryland to Ohio so
there's a bit of a difference in the cost of living, probably not that much
though.  I'm pretty sure I could go back to the same dealer and and get back
that 15% plus a hefty raise.

For me what it boils down to is that I really didn't take this job for the
money.  I do it for the atmosphere, when the administration and faculty are
behind me (which they are) it's a great place to work.  Also I like Ohio and
the location works for my extended family.  I think musicians and artists in
general gain a lot of satisfaction from their work as well as their
compensation so we end up working for less.  This may not be right, we don't
deserve to be under paid just because we enjoy our work, it's just the way
it is.  The situation isn't limited to us piano techs, most of the faculty
need to do gigs on the side also.  There's a point though where you have to
say enough is enough and maybe that's where some of us are.

My two cents worth.

Mitch Staples