[CAUT] Parts Mark up - Institutional Variation

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Thu Jun 12 08:27:21 MDT 2008

CAUTS -
It still fascinates me that our profession is possibly the only one
that conducts these agonizing self-examinations in a public
forum.  It seems to me that, to the extent that mark-up is a
legitimately based cost, it could justifiably appear as such in any
billing break-out.  On the other hand, to the extent that it is based
upon control of supply and / or customer ignorance, it is arguably a
subject for ethical pondering.  The institutional component is just
another twist.  Either suppliers sell direct to end users or they
don't.  Either they provided institutional / government discounts, or
they don't.  If the purchasing secretary at the institution knows the
wholesale price of parts, are they entitled to that discount when you
work on their home piano?   I thought Tom's response stated the case
concisely. Not as concisely as Chris, however.  Was that 40% of the
original cost or of the doubled cost?

>double wholesale less 40% then add shipping charge.
>Chris Solliday

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY