[CAUT] Adjusting a magnetic action

David C. Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Wed Jun 11 12:28:33 MDT 2008

Hi Barbara,

1. Measure Up/Down
2. Calculate Friction (D-U)/2
3. Determine What you want for a Balance Weight
4. Calculate new U as BW -F
5. Calculate new D as BW + F
6. Widen or narrow the magnet gaps by making equal turns in or out on
the mag screws to make the new U.  Check that the new D is right.

If your doing a whole action the fastest and calculation free way is
to make a set of friction test weights used in combination with touch
weights laid out as a balance weight table.  This method is detailed
in the PTG journal:

"Mastering Friction with the Balance Weight System Nov 1990

David Stanwood

PS keep notes on the frictions and fix up unevenesses afterwards...