[CAUT] pitman retrofit

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 10 15:59:06 MDT 2008

List,

Last year Mark Dierauf detailed his method of retro-fitting the Steinway pitman.   I've had great success using his method

in the post reprinted below from the archives:

"I'm using 3/8" dowel with a 5/8" punching. Also, rather than drilling a

shallow hole in the tray and trap lever, I use a roughly 1" square of 1/4"

cowhide, with a 5/8" hole drilled through it, on both the tray and lever. I  can

position these and the new pitman, lined up through the hole through the  keybed,

until I get the straightest run. Then I mark their positions, remove  the

pitman and glue the leather blocks in place. An appropriate wedge under  the tray

acts as a clamp, and I use a spring clamp on the trap lever. Gluing  the

rough side of the lever with titebond, it dries adequately in a minute or  so, and

if I should screw something up I figure it will be a lot easier to  remove

the leather blocks than to un-drill holes in the parts. If you're  dealing with

an older Steinway with the 5/8" original pitman, it isn't even  necessary to

drill out the hole through the keybed."

- Mark Dierauf

THANKS MARK!!

David Ilvedson, RPT