[CAUT] Barbie tuner, Oboist's dilemma; Parting "shots"

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Sat Jul 26 18:14:58 MDT 2008

One thing that has not been mentioned in all of this is that as much as the orchestra members try to tune to the oboe at 440, it's ironic that the mallet instruments and the harp in most orchestras are tuned to 442. Yet no one ever says anything about it. I discovered that just before one of the Tuscaloosa Orchestra concerts, when the harp was tuning just as I got there to tune the piano. We discussed the pitch, and sure enough, her tuning devise was pitched at 442, and I checked several mallet instruments and found them all at 442. So much for the "entire" orchestra being on pitch.

Wim