[CAUT] Barbie tuner; The Bazooka and the squirt gun; Signing off

Kendall Ross Bean kenbean at pacbell.net
Sat Jul 26 13:16:19 MDT 2008

Sorry Chris (and Jim)~

Again, as usual, I was unaware of the "3 replies to one e-mail rule." I had
no intention of "overindulging" in this thread, but like you, Chris, I was
having way too much "facetious fun with what has been said and done" that I
was having difficulty leaving well enough alone. (In other words, this was
too good to pass up.)

And Jim, it's obvious (or should be!) that this whole situation is just, of
course, absolutely ridiculous; and I apologize if for any reason, in the
interests of levity about something so "trying" (and which would obviously
severely push the buttons of any of us), -I may have unintentionally or
inadvertantly had fun at your expense (I hope you could read my sidewise
emoticons).

>Or.. Maybe his $25.00 toy is just a piece of crap which should never have
seen the light of day, and I can suggest where that is  ;-)

Yes. Of course. This should be obvious.

We might want to ask ourselves, though, as members of a larger musical
community, what the oboe player, (who has so much authority and
responsibility in tuning the entire orchestra), is doing running around
with, and relying so heavily on, a $25.00 "piece of crap". I wonder how many
other oboe players are also relying on this means of pitch
reference................... !           (Chris, we may need a lot more of
those Accutuner brochures....)

The reason, I understand, for the oboe being the one who tunes the orchestra
is that they (the oboe) have the least range/capability of pitch correction,
of any of the other instruments. (Sort of like the piano; that is, after the
tuner leaves.)

As Chris so astutely observed in an earlier post "Perception is reality."
The 25.00 "piece of crap" is apparently this oboist's "reality", while your
ETD's, being, together, in the multi-thousand dollar and high sophistication
category, carry considerably more weight (to put it mildly). (-Sort of like
Rambo pulling out his bazooka, excuse me, in this case, two bazookas, in
response to the oboist's "squirt gun".) Yes, of course, we should indeed try
to control our impulses, but an opportunity like that is just too tempting
for any of us to resist!  I admit, I most likely would have done the same.
Faced with that level of disvalidation of his reality, what could the poor
oboist do but go into severe denial? ;-)

My experience is that no matter how seemingly untrustworthy or ill-conceived
the oboist's belief system (or pitch reference), when you use a cannon (or a
bazooka) to swat a fly, the fly's belief system usually survives intact, and
becomes all the more vigorously defended. (But again, what one of us
wouldn't have done what Jim did? Come on now, let's be honest! ;-)  )

My question about which partials the tuning device in question focused on
was only half in jest. I was thinking about how the Accutuner measures pitch
in "stretch" mode (by upper partials), and after I wrote it, quickly
realized that in "tune" mode it works differently (or does it?) (I think
Rick Baldassin addressed this in one of his articles, anyone remember where
it was in the PTJ?)

Signing off for now (unless, of course, this gets really interesting!)

-Kendall

AccuFinders

Connecting Instrumentalists and ETD's

  _____