[CAUT] existing pinblock prep

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL at ucmail.uc.edu
Thu Jul 24 21:20:03 MDT 2008

Paul,

I’ve never restrung a whole piano more than once using this method but just finished restringing the top 2 capo sections on one of our Steinway Ds in our main recital hall for the 3rd time since the piano was new 9 years ago. That makes 4 stringings on those pins counting the original one. The pins are still plenty tight and they still look good. There are numerous practice room pianos here that have received this treatment multiple times as well. The method I independently arrived at is virtually identical to Fred’s though I will add that in addition to getting all the becket holes aligned advantageously, I make sure the pins are all at the same height before putting the new coils on. A lot of them get high or low because of the various string splicing operations done before restringing. While the strings are off I clean everything thoroughly, lightly resurface the capo bar, super-glue the bridge pins (without removing them) with Zap a Gap to fill any hairline cracks and loose pin holes, string, pull to pitch, level the strings, resurface the hammers, space and refit the hammers to the strings. I’ve done this to 2 pianos this week and each job took 6 hours. Most of the pesky extraneous string-noise goes away and the pitch stabilizes very quickly if you make sure everything is seated and pounded in. It’s a great way to get the concert pianos prepped and sounding great  for a new season, plus you don’t need to worry about string breakage for a while. I really think the new strings sound better as well…

Eric

Eric Wolfley, RPT

Director of Piano Services

College-Conservatory of Music