[CAUT] existing pinblock prep

David Brown dcbrown5 at exchange.asu.edu
Thu Jul 24 10:42:17 MDT 2008

Dear Jeff and All-

Was out of town so just catching up on this thread.

Re gun brushing- Sometimes when going from # 2 to # 3 pins in a piano where
the torque levels are adequate ( 90 ­ 120 inch lbs , say ) the # 3¹s can end
up a little tight. When  stringing in this situation, I usually found that I
used a gun brush more in the V bar section as the torque levels increased.
Normally I would take torque readings prior to teardown to see if the level
varied by section, which many times it does. I would not brush globally
before stringing until I put in a few and saw where things were torque wise.
Most times the bass and tenor are OK. Removing pins will lower levels
somewhat. This doesn¹t address stringing on the original pins. That is an
option if you are comfortable with the extra effort and time.  After trying
them early on, I have rarely used spoon reamers, even by hand. Smaller
differences are more easily made with a gun brush  by hand.

Re Lo torque- The half sizes make sense to me and give more flexibility. I
don¹t really get the different sized head size vs pins size except for
tuning lever tip fit. A # 4 pin will still give an odd tuning feel
regardless. # 3¹s are my max before putting in a new pin block. If you have
to go up two sizes to get proper torque it is probably time for a new block.
Maybe not in a practice room or a lower profile setting, but where fine
control and stability are more important.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

David

David C. Brown
Arizona State University