[CAUT] Sostenuto mounting (was Re: Forum format)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Jul 20 09:17:28 MDT 2008

On Jul 18, 2008, at 9:13 PM, bdshull at aol.com wrote:

> The sostenuto on Steinways was belly mounted through the 1870s.  A
> rotating mechanism had arms which a cloth-sheathed wire was tautly
> soldered to.  There was a little pin on the damper lever that the
> sheathed wire caught.   More of us have seen 19th century Steinway
> verticals with the same wire.  It's the same wire.
>
> Steinway went to an action mounted system between 1878 and 1880,
> depending on the model.  Just as Steinway was done with the
> bellymounted system it started up the Hamburg factory....which kept
> the bellymounted system.
>
> Bill
>
> Bill Shull, RPT, M.Mus

Thanks for the history fill in, Bill. Wow! such a short period between
belly mounted and action mounted! The action mounted design is,
indeed, "ancient."
	I found it interesting that the 1875 patent material described the
need to have the sostenuto rod raise the damper a little more than the
key does. This is necessary with the fixed tab system so that other
tabs don't jam against the rod, causing, at the least, a nasty feel.
So the pedal play needs to be a bit greater (the rod swings a bit
more) and the rod placement a bit higher relative to tabs at rest (it
catches the tabs a little later in the keystroke, if you are doing
fast pedaling). And up stop adjusted a bit higher to compensate.
	I well remember the first time a customer with fixed tabs (M & H BB)
asked me to adjust the sostenuto, and how I had to puzzle through the
subtleties to get it to work to her satisfaction (she was complaining
about the "bump"). Albert Steinway (the inventor of the device) could
have clued me in.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico