[CAUT] Pianopedia - Good intentions gone wrong

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sat Jul 19 07:15:53 MDT 2008

Fred et al,
Respecfully, I think you're going in the wrong direction.  First, I'd
like to see a very clear statement of mission / purpose.  The
pitfalls of what I see being proposed are, in fact, many, while, at
the same time, the day to day functioning of the lists (CAUT and
Pianotech) is being insidiously undermined. I don't mean that the
particular discussion is at fault, though, David Love did say (on
both lists) that he felt  "too much time has been spent on this thread".

For example, like a mutant virus, this discussion has jumped list to
Pianotech. I'd be fascinated to discover the path. We don't need no
stinking Pianopedia...we need "CSI  List"!  The mechanics are out of
control.  We quote, we don't quote, we quote too much or not
enough.  Are we pedia-fying both lists? What if a salient comment to
a cross-posted subject appears on only one list?  For whose benefit
are you preparing to dedicate the remainder of your years?  For
free.  The public? new technicians? me?

The issues are related, but separate:
Protocols that would enhance the daily dialogue and minimize
confusion (quoting; titles better reflecting content, etc.)
Effective individual methods for handling list data.
Enhance archiving process, going forward
Explore enhanced / refined search capabilities / organizational
structure of existing archives.

Again, as at least Ed Sutton, and I have suggested, construct an, or
a series of experimental models: a particular subject, thread, time
period,  the mechanisms of joint editorial process and structure of data.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY