[CAUT] Harpsichord transposing keyboard/ WT

David Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 18 19:16:44 MDT 2008

Jim Busby wrote:

> If you tune a WT, which has a certain characteristic for each key,
> then someone wants to shift the keyboard to play at A415, should you
> retune it to maintain the key characteristics? IOW If the key of C as
> a tonality is fairly clean but C# has a lot more movement, by shifting
> the keyboard to A425 I’ve essentially changed the essence of the
> perceived key qualities. Should I retune?
>
> I’m using Werkmeister III and one day the keyboard will be in A440
> then the next A415, then back. Or… should I not worry about it?

Jim, I'd retune for sure. Werkmeister is reasonably crunchy, unless you
really want the sharp keys sweet sounding. Besides, how long does it
take to tune a harpsichord? No wear and tear on the wrist, no test blows
and no ear strain. It's a good idea to tune them daily anyway, even if
just out of habit. BTW, who's asking for 425?

--Dave

  Tulane University

  New Orleans