[CAUT] Sostenuto mounting (was Re: Pianotech Digest, Vol 1301, Issue 134)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jul 18 12:29:59 MDT 2008

On Jul 18, 2008, at 10:36 AM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>> If you look at it from another perspective, how often does
>> one need to regulate a sostenuto vs. how often would one
>> need to get to the damper underlevers for a, say, action
>> center problem (especially in some environments?) What
>> would be a greater priority for an institutional
>> technician? (Israel)
>
> I personally haven't found it to be a real problem getting past the
> sostenuto for damper service problems, but then I don't do a lot of
> panic concert patch work. In that lone instance, I can see an
> occasional potential advantage. (Ron)

	I'm with Israel on this one. And I'm not talking about panic concert
patch work. One example is a bad old Samick grand (80s vintage with
all the warts) in a private school I service, where joint freeze-ups
occur on a fairly regular basis. Yes, the whole darned back action
should be re-pinned, re-bushed, replaced, whatever. And meanwhile the
whole keyboard should be releaded, and the wipp assist springs
regulated, etc, etc. If time and financial priorities allowed.
	Meanwhile, a top flange freezes, meaning that damper is stuck,
meaning the piano is essentially unusable. To remove the underlever
and deal with it (assuming a bit of Protek doesn't do the trick, and
it usually doesn't), I have to virtually demount the sostenuto system
(loosen most screws, remove a couple) in order to get enough
clearance. And then reverse the process when I'm done. So a fairly
minor fix becomes much more of a headache than necessary, kind of like
actions that require ten or more screws to be removed before you can
get at them, all to tighten one loose action screw. [And, yes, I check
all the other top flanges while I have it apart (if there is time),
but the freeze-ups still emerge unpredictably.]
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu