[CAUT] Forum format (was Re: Requirements forcontributing/posting; RPT status

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jul 18 00:30:23 MDT 2008

On Jul 17, 2008, at 10:27 PM, Israel Stein wrote:

> This project - if it comes to fruition - should organize the
> material to be more useful for reference, get rid of
> "fluff" (material unrelated to pianos and "me too" type messages and
> other such) and eliminate excessive duplication (like excessive
> quotes of previous messages in the thread). I would hate for the PTG
> to appoint itself as arbiter of what is or is not "correct" -
> especially if it done through someone's personal filter. Therefore
> all posters' names must be retained - so that what we have is still
> an exchange of many different persons' experiences and opinions, not
> a filtered distillation that the PTG could either be credited with -
> or blamed for...

	Yes, I think this is the key: that every single word have the name of
its author attached. Along with that, I think, would go the right of
any author to edit or remove any or all of his or her text.
	Wikipedia is anonymous, at least on the surface. What we want, I
think, is everything by attribution, so that, essentially, everything
posted is the opinion of its own author. That would ensure that we
retain diversity of approaches, and that we don't create an artificial
"authority."
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico