[CAUT] Forum format (was Re: Requirements for contributing/posting; RPT status

Jim Harvey harvey.pianotech at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 09:59:54 MDT 2008

Fred/others,

I have no reason to soapbox one way or another on this matter, but
what I believe Alan is referring to is not without precedent. And yes,
it does involve a bulletin board "approach", but with more streamlined
software than the old days. A subscription is often required to POST
messages, otherwise usually free to browse.

There are plus and minus characteristics of such a setup. On the plus
side, a hierarchy can be created to focus on certain types of posts.
[Aside, long ago I generated a system that is useful for such a
subdivision of topics/subtopics.] Moderator(s) can move posts to more
appropriate areas, stop posting of certain threads that have wandered
too far, outlived their usefulness (information since proved
incorrect), restrict/lock out offensive users and/or behavior, create
'sticky' posts that do exactly as the term implies, and many other
options. The users also have a bunch of options available to them.

Note the plural of the word moderators. Here is where the minus
characteristics kick in. Andy Rudolph has always advocated an 'open'
structure, with any policing, if any, done internally by the group.
Hmm, kind of like PTG itself. Per Andy's model, this would preclude
moderator(s), unless, paraphrasing Andy, someone wants to step up to
the job.

The other, arguably significant downside and tradeoff to the power of
these systems routinely mean you must "go there"... live... instead of
having the latest traffic delivered to your inbox.

As one of many examples, I offer as an example a board that I visit,
and one that all of us might benefit from at one time or another:
<http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/>

That's enough for now, except that on a personal level, I do not like
our existing archive search routine. It's true that anything can be
found, but only if one lives long enough to wade through all the fluff
and non-substance. This is typical of the Google engine however; eg; I
want to know the maximum air pressure for my vehicle tires, and enter
the appropriate search terms. On page two or three, I might find a
snippet that applies, but not before wading through the two pages
consisting of where to buy tires six states away!

Whoops! Sorry, hit a sore spot, and it's my own fault.

--
Jim Harvey, RPT
<harvey.pianotech at gmail.com>