[CAUT] Tuning Pin Questions, self adhesive nameboard felt

Kendall Ross Bean kenbean at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 8 15:17:29 MDT 2008

Fred~

Thank you so much for taking the time to communicate that excellent
information. You addressed a lot of my bewilderment about tuning pins.

The aesthetics vs salesmanship issue is a very pertinent one here, I agree.
Thanks for reminding me of those two necessary qualities of any marketed
product!

Tuning pins must be sold, and "sell" and "show" are those two factors that
salesmen must rely on. (Then the technician must deal with the implications
or consequences of those "marketing" and "appearance" qualities, built into
the tuning pins).

The analogy with bushing cloth was a very good one. Who knows if Steinway
embraced the white bushing cloth because of green standards, or because it
helps differentiate their product, (or both)? Often products, it seems, have
to an additional quality besides the "appearance" and "marketability" ones:
"uniqueness," or "newness", to help differentiate one product from all the
others on the market.

I notice Brooks/Abel now has a new "natural felt" hammer, that is apparently
being quite well received, but which arose partially out of an effort to
stop using acids in the cleaning of felt, which caused environmental
pollution; now they're substituting enzymes instead. "Natural" felt implies
felt as it "should be", or felt as it was decades ago (the "newness" of old
forms which had been abandoned for "improved forms.") The hammers are not
"white" but more a "natural" color.

I wonder if the new Steinway keybushing felt is similar. Is it "white" now,
or "natural"?

Think about all the products from the piano supply houses, like
self-adhesive nameboard felt, "jiffy" leads, plastic key bushing inserts,
universal bass strings, (and don't forget teflon bushings!) that were
supposed to be the latest and greatest solution to our problems. (And don't
get me going about "universal replacement parts", that are supposed to fit
everything but end up fitting nothing well.) Yeah, they seemed like a great
idea at the time, and they were "new" and supposedly "improved," and
(supposedly) finally addressed a problem that we were all having; but
because of their relative newness, they hadn't passed the test of time.

Were the new parts any better? (Well, they could charge more for them.)

You raised an excellent question: are tuning pins so basic that there is not
much to be tampered with, and the basic variations (blued, or plated, or a
combination of both, threads cut before or after plating, or bluing) are
simply time tested differences necessary for different climates or
applications; or do the tuning pins we use today have those sneaky "built-in
improvements", used at one time to sell either more pins or more pianos,
that maybe we should be looking at in the same way we now view self-adhesive
nameboard felt.?

(How many here still use self-adhesive nameboard felt? Hmmm?)

So. Why DO front rail punchings have to be green? ;-)

~Kendall Ross Bean

PianoFinders
www.pianofinders.com <http://www.pianofinders.com/>
e-mail: kenbean at pianofinders.com