[CAUT] University piano replacement program

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Jul 2 08:56:13 MDT 2008

That sounds about the same as here, David.  The M&H's and Steinways are
"tough enough" to handle the pounding.  In the classrooms, we have
Steinway and Baldwin R's and a couple upright Disklaviers. They all get
tuned probably 3-4 times a year where the practice rooms I do often and
the concert pianos sometimes several times a week!

The classroom and practice pianos need to be better than average quality
as they (the classrooms) are often rehersal rooms for small ensembles.  I
could see having Yamaha or Kawai in the classrooms, but how many times can
you rebuild them with confidence and smart fund allocating? Disposable
pianos I just wouldn't want to consider.

Does this help some more?

Paul

"Porritt, David" <dporritt at mail.smu.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
07/02/2008 07:15 AM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

"College and University Technicians" <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] University piano replacement program

Tony:

I my experience the pianos subjected to the hardest use are the practice
room grands.  They have a grueling life.  They need to be as substantially
made as possible.  Since they are substantial pianos rebuilding is
logical.  If you have pianos there with light rims, light duty key beds
etc. when you approach the second or third rebuild you start to question
the foundation.  All of our practice room grand pianos are Steinways – not
that they are the only heavy duty pianos – it’s just that’s what we happen
to have.  As to tuning, I do all the practice room grands about every 6
weeks or whenever I walk down that hallway and am embarrassed by what I
hear.  Only the performance pianos are tuned more frequently.

Classroom pianos, while important, don’t get either the use or the care
that practice room pianos get – at least here.

dp

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu