[CAUT] University piano replacement program

tony amastadonna at neo.rr.com
Wed Jul 2 05:45:26 MDT 2008

Thanks Paul and David,

I was assuming the importance of the concert, & studio instruments. That's a
given!

What I was getting at, is, if (and I know this might be a large if) but if
we were to submit a plan for total "long term" replacement (with repair &
rebuilding concert instruments)  How important is it to have "High quality"
Classroom & Practice rooms pianos.
To cut costs in a replacement program do you feel "middle priced" Grands or
verticals would hold up? (Yamaha, Kawai, Pramberger, Knabe, etc.) How
important is the price range of these pianos?

My experience is the more expensive the piano, the more delicate it is (more
sensitive to humidity changes and less tuning stability. In a new piano,
assuming the pinblock is tight, doesn't the board move more in a "high
quality" piano with a thinner board designed for better tone? Is that
necessary for the Practice room pianos? How frequently can you get to these
pianos to tune them in a year? Doesn't the care & maintenance of the
Quality" Concert and Studio pianos constantly change you tuning plans and
become priority?

Your thoughts please..........and anyone else!

   Tony Mastadonna
Institutional Sales Consultant

    Cell-330-603-8843