[CAUT] Key leveling

Don Mannino DMannino at kawaius.com
Tue Jul 1 09:08:37 MDT 2008

Jim,

Good idea about the touch weight - but . . .

The sensors required to accurately measure touch weight resistance are
very expensive.  You and I can change weights and watch to see which one
moves the keys, but the machines have to have super precise sensors on
the tip to measure the resistance.

It can be done reasonably well in a factory situation where the volume
justifies the costs, but it's my guess that it would quadruple the price
of this rig to add a touch weight sensor!

I agree with others - this is a nifty setup, but kind of overkill.
Kawai uses a laser sensor to do a similar thing in the factory, and it
prints out a paper tape showing which punchings to put under each key.
Then the action is pounded by machine for a while, and guess what?

- Technicians redo the leveling the old fashioned way.

:-)

Don

  _____