[CAUT] Natural key width

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Sat Jan 26 18:30:34 MST 2008

Fred:

The Steinbuhler action for a Steinway D can be adapted to fit in any
Steinway D.  The one we have has been in many different pianos from
Chicago to Houston.  An artist has but to purchase one and then take it
with them.  Actually the switching back and forth has been less of a
problem for the people who use the 7/8 but when they play on a full
action they do have to forgo some of the reparatory that they play on
the 7/8 for the simple reason that they can't play it on the standard
action.  Our teacher who uses a 7/8 plays on standard keyboard also, she
just has to leave off some Rachmaninoff that plays on the 7/8.

dp

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu