[CAUT] key widths

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Fri Jan 25 20:45:42 MST 2008

Speaking of different key widths.

About 20 years ago, my dad finally retired from piano work, and gave me a shoe box full of ivory fronts and tails, all thrown together, with no semblance of order.? (There must have been about 250 of them).?He and my mother had become snow birds, so?during one of his winters in Texas I asked him if he could sort them all out.?The following spring I got back the same shoe box, but with about?3 dozen baggies, each containing a different size ivory fronts and tails. The fronts measured anywhere from?from?18.5 to?22 mm wide and 45 mm to?49 mm long.? (I seldom used the tails so I don't remember the lengths and widths of those.)

About 10 years ago we had a meeting in my store, and with just the pianos on the floor, (new Pertof, Knabe, Story & Clark, Maeari, and a couple of used ones), I think we came up with about 6 different keys widths.?I measured them because one of my clients had a S&S L and a Forster. She made the comment that she didn't like to?go from one to the other, because of the different key widths. Although I knew there were different widths, I never?realize it made such a difference to pianists.
?

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, HI