[CAUT] bridge cap sanding

Jeff Farris Jfarris at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 24 06:58:23 MST 2008

David,

Thanks, just what I was looking for. I felt like I wanted to sand
until the groove was gone - even though there is a mark left on the
bridge. It would not be lower than before, yet it wouldn't have the
chance of the old groove "wrapping" around the string to any degree
either, possibly causing some termination problems.

I might try wiping the DAG off next time. The scraping is quite mild,
usually with a razor blade, not a scraper. Just trying to keep the
sandpaper from caking, and not create a mess.

And of course, filing the capo, replacing agraffes, and re-notching
is all part of the main reason for doing this job.

Jeff Farris
Piano Technician
School of Music
UT Austin