[CAUT] Care and feeding of stage grands

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sun Jan 20 12:32:55 MST 2008

Joel writes:

<< The simple fix I initiated was:
    1. put the pins in the hinges.
    2. take the tip of the pin with channel locks.
    3. break the tip off of the pin.
        a. A hacksaw makes an effective cut too.

However, be prepared to be called to several faculty meetings to
explain and defend this solution.   It is worth every minute.<<

         I think the philosophy here is that the stage crew keeps an eye on
pianos, and I get along good with them.  They have actually caused as much
damage as anybody, but we are all getting better at putting covers on them anytime
they are moved.  It seems to focus a little more care on them.  I intend to
line the walls of the storage room at keybed level with about a 10 inch strip
of carpet to bump the keybed and lid profiles that take such a beating.
      Students that are practising duo piano, etc. are allowed to request the
lids be removed.   They seem to be willing to risk the occasional damage in
service to unrestrained and full use of the equipment.  I am contracting with
the school to maintain pianos, but not to determine use. If they tear something
up, the resources are there to make it right.   Since I don't get paid to
explain stuff, it works for me.

 >>I still open the lid of
every grand slowly and give it a small shake before going to full stick. >>

Me too.  It only had to happen once to spook me, forever.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay
in shape.<BR>