[CAUT] Care and feeding of stage grands

Joel A. Jones jajones2 at wisc.edu
Sun Jan 20 08:27:58 MST 2008

Ed,

I will offer a simple fix to the problem of having lids removed with out
permission.

The simple fix I initiated was:
	1. put the pins in the hinges.
	2. take the tip of the pin with channel locks.
	3. break the tip off of the pin.
		a. A hacksaw makes an effective cut too.

The pin can still be removed, but you need a hammer and a small
punch to drive it out.  Surprisingly you will know about who, when, and
why the lids are coming off.  :-)  (big grin)

However, be prepared to be called to several faculty meetings to
explain and
defend this solution.   It is worth every minute.

  Several times I have had this experience of opening the lid and
feeling the lid slip
away to the floor.    Once it actually happened in the middle of a
concerto
concert narrowly missing the concertmaster.  I still open the lid of
every
grand slowly and give it a small shake before going to full stick.

Joel
Joel Jones, RPT
Madison, WI