[CAUT] Care and feeding of stage grands

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 20:00:14 MST 2008

I have a couple questions about maintaining concert pianos on stages
at universities.

1) Do you have a policy about the touch-up of finish damage? I would
think a good-looking piano would generate more respect and care than a
beat-up one.  (Although I didn't think that the time a couple years
ago when we had a D refinished and the first week-end it was back in
service, it received more damage than it had before being refinished.
I still haven't recovered from that one.) Does anyone touch-up as
needed? Or perhaps annually? Never?

2) Do you have a policy on removing lids? It seems like every
recording project, every duo-piano performance, every large ensemble
performance requires the lid to be removed. There is also a history of
damage being done while removing and replacing grand piano lids.

Sure would like to know what various schools do. Thanks.

Kent Swafford