[CAUT] Baldwin Electric Harpsichord

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL at ucmail.uc.edu
Wed Jan 9 11:58:08 MST 2008

Bob,

I recently bought one of these curious specimens and in my instrument
the tongue (that holds the plectrum) is molded into the jack body with a
very thin strip which functions as the spring. This is a really stupid
arrangement because if a plectrum breaks or if you trim it too short you
have to replace the whole jack. Mine are all intact but I did some
investigation and found that a Hubbard jack will fit just fine (with
some adjustments) into the register. I think some of these instruments
actually had Hubbard-type jacks in them. The Baldwin "solid body
harpsichords" were built by the Cannon Guild in Boston and I think Eric
Hertz type jacks might be in some of them though this is just a guess
since I haven't seen any.

Eric

Eric Wolfley, RPT

Director of Piano Services