[CAUT] burton harpsichord kit

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 9 10:11:05 MST 2008

From: caut-request at ptg.org

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 David Ilvedson wrote:

>I am no harpsichord expert...can parts be had for a Burton kit harpsichord?   I had a inquiry...

 >David Ilvedson, RPT
>Pacifica, CA 94044

David,

The only thing different about the Burton kit harpsichord is the
jack/tongue/plectrum setup. Everything else is pretty standard -
pins, cloth, etc. The two harpsichord supply houses are The
Instrument Workshop in Oregon at <www.fortepiano.com> and Hubbard
Harpsichords in Framingham, MA at <www.hubharp.com>.

Hubbard rebuilds and services harpsichords - and whenever they
retrofit other makers' actions for their own jacks, they save
whatever is usable and sell it through their supply house. So they
may have Burton jacks from time to time. They also claim that they
can adapt their current jacks and tongues to work in Burton
instruments. As I said - everything else is pretty standard. I built
one of those Burton kits way back when, and they use the standard
zither tuning pins, piano center pins for bridge pins and piano
bushing felt for dampers. I may still have a few spares sitting
around in a box somewhere - I would have to dig...

The Instrument Workshop does not mention any jacks on their website
listing - but the listing is incomplete (the website has been "under
construction" forever...) . So it wouldn't hurt to call and ask -
Lutz Bungart (the owner) is very forthcoming with information. 1-800-442-6038

Israel Stein