[CAUT] "Cross papering" - was; pictures of new key weighting pattern

ricb at pianostemmer.no ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Jan 8 16:31:02 MST 2008

I think if you stop and think about what you are able to manipulate
by papering in various ways, you'll find that there is nothing in
particular wrong with papering any way in particular... or in any
amount per se.  In the end... you are manipulating the position and
angle(s) of the flange center.  The center itself is the key to
hammer travel. Its height is just as obviously important... and can
get into a few issues.   In the end you want ideally all centers in
exactly the same plane along a straight line. My understanding of
cross papering however is that it is used to space Steinway shanks/
flanges when trying to force them on those rails doesn't quite want
to cooperate.  Never tried it with flat rails myself.

Cheers
RicB

    Thank you, Jim.  Yes, I know about cross papering.  It was the
layers of
    full length strips I was referring to.

    I don't know if there is anything wrong with it technically, but
I've seen
    some pretty "tall" flanges.  Sometimes I've peeled off all the
paper and
    everything was fine...

    Occasionally I leave the screw partially in the rail to paper,
but often I
    take it off so I can get just the right amount of paper at the
right spot.
    I also vary the width of the strips--am I just fooling myself
that it
    makes a difference?  Seems like it does.

    Barbara Richmond, RPT
    near Peoria, Illinois