[CAUT] Mikhail Pletnev

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL at ucmail.uc.edu
Tue Jan 8 09:50:15 MST 2008

Ric,

I haven't heard of this guy but I do have experience with an action
trick involving a strip of fabric placed in the action. Alicia de
Larocca was coming to play with the Cincinnati Symphony a few years back
to play the de Falla "Nights in the Garden of Spain" and I had heard
that she preferred a light, very fast action with impeccable repetition
to play this piece. On a tip from the NY Steinway guys in the basement I
placed a strip of fairly thin fabric (muslim, I think) over the backrail
felt. This simultaneously raised the hammerline a bit and made the
keydip shallower which did indeed speed things up. I didn't have to do
any other regulation. She loved it and thought I was a genius. I don't
know if this will make an action feel lighter but it is conceivable to
me that it might give that impression. I did have to pin some felt over
the hammer rest cushions to make sure the jacks didn't trap.

Eric

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Director of Piano Services
College-Conservatory of Music