[CAUT] Voicing Steinway D

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Jan 7 08:21:06 MST 2008

	Actually, my impression from high speed videography is that it is
anyone's guess how the hammer will end up aligned when it hits the
string. Flexing of the shank happens in a vibrational pattern, and how
many vibrations happen between push off and striking the string
depends on velocity. The amplitude of flexing and the flexing "period"
will vary with hammer mass and with shank grain/mass/stiffness/etc.
	I had always intuited that the hammer would be "flexed back" on a
harder blow, so the front felt would contact. But I have come to the
conclusion after watching Kawai and Birkett films and reading
Askenfelt and others that it is not nearly so simple.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu