[CAUT] enforcement tactics, was a prepared rant

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Mon Aug 25 08:15:45 MDT 2008

 Jim,

I have used the confiscation tactic myself in an analogous situation.? A student had "unauthorized access"to rooms he shouldn't (how DID he get those keys?).? I suspected this was the case when he was a student, but it was not a fight worth fighting at that time.? Then he graduated at the end of last year, and continued to use the facilities as he had before.? We had? "chat" about it, I saw his keys sitting on the piano he was playing and just took them, not knowing whether or not he had any more.?

We made it clear that he was not to use the facilities at all.? He acknowledged receipt of the message.? Then I find a piano open that is usually kept closed, covered with music with his name on it.? I confiscated the music, hoping he would come looking for it (about $150 to $200 worth, I reckon), and eager to hear his explanation!? Three months later, he has yet to get up the gumption to come ask me if know what happened to his music, but then there haven't been any sightings of him on campus, either.? Sometimes the birds need a little shove in order to leave the nest!

Alan Eder