[CAUT] Getting straight

Scott E. Thile scott.thile at murraystate.edu
Wed Aug 6 19:52:08 MDT 2008

Hello Ed,

I no longer have it, but I made a simple solution that involved pulling the
wire off of the wooden spools Mapes used to sell their wire on. It was all
on a plywood board about 18" square. The wooden spool would rotate on a
dowel. The wire would leave the spool, go through a wire brad, then stager
through two angled hammer shanks, which would straighten the wire, with the
angle such as would also hold the wire down against the board, and then it
would go through another staple to keep it from easily escaping. This also
kept the wire taught and captured after clipping it off to length.

I've been planning to make something similar that includes some sort of
spooling arrangement one could slide the wire onto (in order to accommodate
the way wire comes these days). I think Mapes still sells their stock wire
in 5 lbs wooden spools, but I don't think the high grade wire comes that
way. My arrangement looked something like the attached picture.

All the best,
Scott

Scott E. Thile
Piano/Instrument Technician
Dept. of Music, Murray State University
504 Fine Arts Building, Murray, KY 42071
Office Phone: 270-809-4396
http://campus.murraystate.edu/staff/scott.thile/index.html

aut00050000000017 )</HTML>