[CAUT] Bass Bridge Help!

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Sep 26 07:03:16 MDT 2007

Jim,

To me it sounds like bad bass strings.  You might try, before ordering a
new set, giving the existing strings an extra twist.  Rattles come from
the windings coming loose on the core wire. Tubby-ness is dirt and grime
getting into the windings.  Just choose a half dozen of the worst equally
spaced up and down the bass section and see if the noises go away and/or
tone brightens up. But, 45 years is a long time for a school piano.  You
will probably need new strings. Of course, it might be the bridge too.
That can be checked if the first experiment fails and you get ready to
re-string.  Always check pins and separations before any re-stringing job.

Paul

JSmith3109 at aol.com
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
09/25/2007 08:37 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

caut at ptg.org
cc

Subject
[CAUT] Bass Bridge Help!

Piano: Baldwin Hamilton Studio school piano - Probably 45+ years old. The
bass (only the bass ) is tubby, rattles, bad sounding notes, vibrations,
etc. I am assuming it is the bass bridge that is loose.  Cannot see any
separation. I do not know exactly how to repair this. Anyone help??
Thanks so much!
Jim Smith