[CAUT] Gravalla Tension regulator

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Sep 25 15:07:56 MDT 2007

> Interesting article, Ron. I stand corrected in terms of the direction of the
> forces at play...
>
> It would be interesting to know what would happen in your model if the board
> were glued into the jig like it would be in the piano. I suspect capturing
> the board by gluing it down (after it's crowned) could still contribute to
> resisting forces by preventing the ends from moving as freely (regardless of
> the direction).

Huh? If you mean it stiffens the assembly, yes, I expect
you're right.

> Even if stiffness of the rim assembly does not contribute to retention of
> the crown and/or downbearing, it does effect tone production. My experience
> is the effects are dramatic, especially in projection, and especially in the
> "killer octave".  My point is that regardless of the effects of maintaining
> crown, stiffness in the rim assembly seems to be is an important factor.

Yes, a very important factor.

> Steinway's methods of stiffening the assembly seem to work really well, and
> they seem to hold up at least as well over time as other methods. I would
> not want to eliminate one of them in order to install another....

Well, Steinway's little belly rail stick and bell are
certainly better replaced with much heavier bracing and a real
nose bolt. Given the customer's approval, and an appropriate
check, I'll cheerfully make these changes every time rather
than leave the original approach in place.

Ron N