[CAUT] Surviving instruments was... /an old S #287725

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Sep 23 04:39:09 MDT 2007

Just footnote to this post...

The climate here in Bergen is piano friendly I'd have to say.  We rarely
get above 70 % outside RH... tho it happens.... and inside I would
guesstimate that we range usually from around 25 to 60 % RH for the most
part.  Not anything like the very high levels of RH found in many places
in the US.

This perhaps may explain why there are so many very nice sounding old CC
boards around here.  I know of one 300XXX serial number D that is
dead.... but nearly all other older Steinways around here sound quite
nice with regard to issues like the killer octave syndrome and
postulated affects of compression over many years... etc.  In fact, I
find it unavoidable (and have for nearly 20 years now) to conclude that
exactly Steinways age much nicer then most instruments.  Tho that could
have as much to do with the fact that people seem to have a tendency to
actually take care of Steinways to a greater degree then they will other
instruments.

We have a locally produced instrument from the past here that I know to
be a RC board...  How much one can say they are RC&S I am unsure of...
but the ribs were crowned, and the boards were dried only to ambient
room RH in the winter time for assembly.  These are are very nicely made
small pianos really... typical in sound characteristic to Scandinavian
instruments... light and bright.  The boards are very responsive... and
even a very soft hammer will often sound harsh and too bright. Not a lot
of big bass sound... tho clear and defined.  The problem with these
instruments is that one very very often finds that the strings have
pulled away from the bridge after climate changes causing all manner of
nasty buzz problems. Downbearing angles installed at production are not
at fault here.... at least if the previous owners/builders are to be
taken at their word.  Solution is simple enough really.. one simply
re-seats the strings moderately.. you can usually do this with your
finger actually.  But its a yearly routine. The condition nearly always
shows up in the lower treble but often enough over most of the piano.
They do not exhibit an abnormal amount of soundboard cracking... tho
most of them do have at least some hairline pulls.  These instruments
were made in the 50's, 60's and 70's.  I dont know what kind of SB
earlier models of this factory used but the factory goes back to the
late 1800's in its earliest conception. They closed down in 74 I believe.

Taking into account the fact that I am comparing Steinway grands to very
good quality produced upright.... I'd still end up having to conclude
that at least in our climate... the CC board survives quite a bit better
over time.  We also have a lot of Bechsteins, a few Bossies, and some
assortments of other German makes around.  Cant say any of these have
stood the test of time at all really... which points me away again from
the CC vs RC thing and back at how well instruments are treated.

Hard to say really.... why so many Steinways in our area seem to have
survived long years with still very good performing soundboards.... but
it inevitably forces me to conclude that the basic construction is every
bit as viable as any other.. at the very least.  At least in a climate
friendly environment.

Cheers
RicB