[CAUT] S&S Hammers and lacquer

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Sep 22 21:52:17 MDT 2007

One thing that hasn¹t been mentioned in this discussion is the geometry
change, along with (or, more accurately, trailing a while) the hammer mass
increase. This difference in hammer weight from early 20th century to 80s
and thereafter is immense. This has a great impact on tone color, and, no
doubt, on how hammers need to be treated. Best I can figure, the practice of
complete soaking of hammers in lacquer began somewhere around the time of
the 1984 action ratio change. That fact is suggestive to me. (I¹m not up on
differences, if any, in belly thickness and mass and the like that may have
accompanied the hammer mass increase. The ³diaphragmatic SB² patent came mid
century, and may have increased mass/thickness of the central segments, with
tapering around the rim).
    Back to the history of lacquering ³all Ds that left the factory,² I have
heard many anecdotes over the course of my life, including my life as a
piano student in small colleges in the hinterlands, where a pianist, piano
faculty member, or the like would talk about when the new D was delivered,
and how dead it was. ³It needed to be played in for a couple years before it
developed tone² is a composite of countless tales of this sort. I take this
as additional evidence that lacquering as a standard practice for all
Steinways is a recent development. There are just too many bits of evidence
of many, many sorts leading in that same direction for me to believe the
limited anecdotes in the other direction, like ³we started using lacquer
when it replaced shellac in the finish department.²
    I am happy to believe that various hardeners were used, and maybe as a
matter of course in C&A, from very early days, as a ³voicing devise.² But
the idea of saturating the felt, I feel quite sure, is far more recent.
Saturating shoulders goes back, certainly, at least to the early 80s,
probably quite a bit further. But lacquer into the area of the crown,
saturating from the strike point to the molding? I think that is far more
recent, and it is really where the issue becomes far more important. It
creates a different animal entirely, I believe.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico