[CAUT] Teflon (was Re: My take on them, (was The "new" S&S Hammers).

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Sep 21 17:50:48 MDT 2007

On Sep 19, 2007, at 2:50 PM, Jeff Tanner wrote:

> It wasn't teflon bushings that created Steinway's reputation for
> clicky actions during those years.  It was technicians in the field
> who didn't know how to work with them.

Hi Jeff,
	Actually, in this case it was the first iteration of teflon that was
to blame, the narrow ones without the ridges. Clicks developed
between them and the wood. Also, at a different point in the humidity
cycle, excess friction appeared, because the wood could and did
squeeze the teflon in against the pin. You are right that techs
didn't have a clue what to do, and screwed things up worse, but the
original design was flawed. Other things could be and have been said
about communication and whatnot, and perhaps if they had started out
with Teflon II (the fatter ones with the ridges), we'd still be
happily (or unhappily) reaming them, but that's water under the bridge.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu