[CAUT] Harpsichord strings breaking

ITUNEPIANO at aol.com ITUNEPIANO at aol.com
Fri Sep 21 15:25:14 MDT 2007

Thanks, Fred.  This harpsichord has press in pins with no becket  hole.
Initially, it was 3 notes flat, the pins were loose, and the coils  were too low
to press the pins in further to tighten them.  I loosened the  pins, carefully
raised the coils so I could press the pins in further but  I'm getting
breakage at A-440.  I suppose disturbing the coils might be the  culprit, although I
was very careful.  I've had several new strings break  at A-440, but I might
have had the string tail under the coils.  I'll need  to check that. I'll also
check the measurements.  The strings I've  replaced are the correct size per
Zuckerman's scale.

Bob Maret,  RPT
Piano Technician