[CAUT] Harpsichord strings breaking

ITUNEPIANO at aol.com ITUNEPIANO at aol.com
Fri Sep 21 12:38:52 MDT 2007

A local church has a Zuckerman, Double Choir Harpsichord.  I don't  know if
this was a kit or not, but the coils on the pins are not very neat, so I
suspect it's a kit.  When I tune it to A-440, strings break.  I've  currently tuned
it to A-415 (one semi-tone flat), but the music director isn't  happy
transposing everything.  I'm betting the bridge is in the wrong  place, causing the
string tension to reach the breaking point at A-440.   I'd be interested in any
suggestions on a cost-effective fix.

Bob Maret,  RPT
Piano Technician