[CAUT] moving capstans question

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Sep 21 11:27:26 MDT 2007

Hi Paul,
	What you are describing is a convergence issue, rather than a
leverage issue (though there may be leverage issues as well). The
line from balance hole bottom to wipp center is the "line of
convergence" and you want the top of the capstan/bottom of the wipp
to be on the line when the key is halfway through a keystroke. This
mostly affects friction, how much the capstan and wipp cushion felt
rub back and forth against each other. The least amount will occur
when you have it set up as I described. It usually doesn't have that
much of a noticeable affect on touch unless the capstans and wipp
cushions are "gunked up." It will affect wear, how long the cushion
felt lasts and how soon it becomes badly cupped.
	If this is enough of a problem to address, the best way to address
it is with wipp heel changes. For what you describe, you want a
thinner wipp heel. Picture it like this: hold everything in place,
and shave X amount off the bottom of the wipp heel. You will now have
to raise the capstan to meet it. Hence, the contact between capstan
and wipp cushion will be higher relative to the line of convergence.
	Moving the capstan line will affect convergence, but only "by the
way." Let's be clear what we mean by back and forward: back, toward
the back of the key, forward toward the front of the key and the
player. Moving back will make the capstan lower relative to the line
of convergence. Moving it forward will make it higher. (The line of
convergence is slanted relative to the top of the key). But the main
effect is on leverage. Moving the capstan back means higher ratio,
and heavier touch (all other things being equal), and means less
keydip for the same blow. Moving forward does the opposite: lower
ratio, lighter touch, and more keydip for the same blow.
	Raising or lowering the stack has a lot of side effects, especially
having to do with hammer bore distance and how squarely the hammer
hits the string. You don't want to go there unless you are able to
think of all the effects. Well, raising it is simple to experiment
with, just a few shims you can easily remove, and not a lot of time
lost. And you can consider just shimming the back legs, which you can
do more of without causing problems getting the action assembly in
and out under the pinblock. But it does have other regulation effects
besides just the convergence thing.
	I guess I would start by questioning whether convergence is the
issue here that is making people hate the piano. The most likely
problem is new heavy hammers on old knuckle geometry (16 mm or so vs.
17 mm or so current specs). In that case, best solution is probably
moving the knuckles, whether that means new shanks with different
knuckle placement, or cutting new slots on the old and installing new
knuckles - which requires specialty jigs.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu