[CAUT] S&S Hammers and lacquer / an old S #287725

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Sep 21 07:46:48 MDT 2007

Perhaps I didn't word that very carefully.  Of course a change in hammer
will change the tone.  My point was that you won't be able to completely
mask the underlying tonal structure of the piano by simply changing the
hammer.  In other words, you won't convert a Yamaha to a Steinway by simply
putting a Steinway hammer on it.  If you could, we could all have that
Steinway sound for a lot less money.  The piano will still maintain many
characteristics of the Yamaha sound though through a slightly different
filter.

With respect to soundboard response, there are some good examples of
soundboards that have survived well with good sustain and the like.
Unfortunately, there are also many that have not.

To comment further on the difference in tone between a lacquered and
non-lacquered hammer, I think one of the main differences is the layered
structure of the hammer necessitated by the presence of lacquer.  With the
lacquered hammer you are forced to create a thin layer of needled felt over
the surface of the hammer in order to mitigate the tendency for the hammers
to ping excessively when the lacquer is present on the surface.  The
crystalline substance laying just below the surface is thus engaged only
when the hammer is compressed enough to get through the fluffy top layer.
This does create a sense of changing colors as the hammer is played at
different levels.  You can get a sense, especially in the treble, a sort of
crystalline sound beneath a soft veneer.  It's definitely a high maintenance
type of hammer since that top layer must be maintained carefully.
Unfortunately, the constant dressing of that top layer also shortens the
effect life of the felt at that level and it must be periodically removed
and the process started all over again until you get down to where the
lacquer is simply too dense to really deal with effectively.  In addition,
over time, the lacquer continues to harden and the flexibility of the hammer
on a deeper level is compromised and the tone at a forte level tends to get
too harsh.   The non lacquered hammer need not be put through the same
procedure because there is no lacquer noise factor to avoid.  The tops of
these hammers can be polished with very fine paper in order to get that
shine in the tone that lacquer provides without fear of an unwanted zing
resulting from an unaddressed lacquer crystal.  Those hammers tend to have a
more stable voicing and, treated well, a longer effective life.

At least that's my take on it.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com