[CAUT] S&S Hammers and lacquer

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Thu Sep 20 18:21:31 MDT 2007

Lacquer did not come along until after the end of WW I. They had to find
something to do with all that leftover nitrocellulose. Nor is there any evidence
I am aware of indicating that hammers were hardened with any kind of chemical
solution prior to that time. And, with the extensive discussions in Piano Tone
Building about hammer voicing -- needling, sanding, ironing, etc. -- I'd think
if any chemical hardening was going on they'd have at least mentioned it.

While I have no hard evidence I am quite convinced the original hammers I used
to see (during the 1960s and 1970s) on Steinway pianos built during the 1920s
and 1930s did not use lacquer or any other chemical hardening. (Other than the
potash -- reinforcing -- mixture in the shoulders, of course.)

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Manufacturing Consultant
620 South Tower Avenue