[CAUT] " My take on them, (was The "new" S&S Hammers).

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Thu Sep 20 12:15:10 MDT 2007

David M. Porritt, RPT

dporritt at smu.edu

From: Porritt, David
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2007 11:53 AM
To: 'Jeff Tanner'
Subject: RE: [CAUT] My take on them, (was The "new" S&S Hammers).

Jeff:

This is an interesting subject and I appreciate both the candor and
non-adversarial nature of the discussion.

There are things that must be preserved.  The Mona Lisa is a singular
item with artistic value and historic value.  ANY change (even if it
would improve that smile) cannot be done!  At the other end of the
spectrum is my Ford that in spite of the fact that Ford's logo is still
on it, has Mobil 1 oil in it.  That's OK.

In between are a lot of things from works of art to consumer products.
In Dallas there is but one house designed by famed architect Frank Lloyd
Wright.  It is his work of art.  I'm sure the owner has the right to
make substantive changes in it if he chooses, but will probably keep the
Wright design for its value.  I don't think he would be unethical to
update this work of art (it was built in the 1950s I believe) nor do I
think it foolish to keep it exactly the same.

Pianos are someplace in the middle - between Mona Lisa's and Fords.
They are a consumer products produced in a factory that makes 4,000 -
5,000 units a year.  They are not one-of-a-kind.  I think we each have
to decide what we'll do and what we won't do for a customer's piano.  I
have always left that choice up to the owner.  I have felt comfortable
using all Steinway parts, (though that isn't usually my preference) and
comfortable using whatever parts I felt were best for the instrument.

We must all do what will let us sleep at night.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT

dporritt at smu.edu