[CAUT] Steinway D damper quirks

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Wed Sep 19 05:32:15 MDT 2007

A440A at aol.com wrote:
> John writes:
>
> << great difficulty with a few felts dampening completely. The first note in
> the treble, #21, has a nasty harmonic that I was unable to completely remove,
> no matter what configuration of placement of the felt.  >>
>
> Ah,yes.  I have had this problem too.  It seems to emanate from the section
> of string between the damper and the agraffe.  Sometimes it helped to set the
> damper head so that the it lifted slightly earlier at the proximal end,(nearer
> the keyboard).
>    The only time I have seen this problem completely solved is on a 1936 D
> that has had a modification to the F# damper head.
> Ed Foote RPT

I've had some success on one D (on F21) by adding a small section of
trichord felt, between the normally placed ones and offset by one string.

(v.v..) vs: (.v.v.)

No amount of squeezing the fat side of the trichord felt or even
reversing one segment seemed to do the trick, and you practically have
to look straight down on it to see a little red backing showing.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- There comes a time in every man's life and I've had plenty of them.
- Casey Stengel