[CAUT] center pinning changes/ long pin method

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Mon Sep 17 15:33:49 MDT 2007

Hi John,

I've been thinking about what you wrote below and wonder if you just
"think" the centers were still good or if you took out some hammers and
measured grams or counted swings. Maybe "good" is our problem word.
Steinway says "zero friction is still good as long as there is no side
play"... If you agree then maybe that's where we diverge. If I can't get
at around 3-5 grams the regulation suffers (IMO) and possibly tone as
well. Fly away hammers, inability to set rep springs, etc. It drives me
nuts! But of course, I'm half way nuts anyway.

I'm always trying to find ways to prolong the life of everything in the
piano, especially pinning. (I hate to pin) Maybe if you could find one
of those pianos (below) we could dissect it and duplicate it. (Are you
sure it wasn't some kind of verdigris? <G>)

Regards,
Jim