[CAUT] The "new" S&S Hammers.

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Sep 15 10:29:22 MDT 2007

    I'll agree with Eric essentially about the current Steinway hammers. My
last couple sets - pre-lacquered in the factory - were about where they
would be after my first lacquering, and needed more in the top couple
octaves. So it was basically a time/step saver for me. The evenness and
shape are far better than even two years ago. (One set I bought prehung, and
I'm not sure I'll do that again - needed too much travel and burning. They
were pre-traveled, and half my traveling was removing their paper, meaning
it was twice as much work as doing it myself). But for those who hate
lacquer, obviously you don't want these hammers. Hey, they're lacquered!
They're intended to be lacquered!
    I have found that bringing down lacquered hammers that are too
harsh/bright for the customer can often be done quickly and in a very
controlled way by using small diameter needles in a fixture. The Steinway
guys are using, for una corda, a hammershank with a sawn slot, jammed with 5
- 6 #6 needles (pressed against one another with no gap), held in by glue. I
find this a rather crude tool, and have made my own, far more subtle
adaptations of the idea. I use a piece of that Renner spacing material (1/8"
x 1/2" or so hornbeam material used between rows of shanks in the packing
box), and drill holes in the end with a #70 or so bit. It's touchy work to
set up precisely spaced and centerpunched dimples, but then the drill press
(with a pin punch adapter) does a great job. I have several with different
spacings and needle sizes, and find I use #10 and #12 needles the most, with
#8 and #7 for occasional use, usually una corda only. Gaps between each
needle range from a little less than 1 mm to 2 mm or so, and the needles
stick out only about 2 - 3 mm.
    I use these voicing tools in the string groove, straight down to the
hilt into the crown (or not so deep If I choose), and once on either side of
the crown. The #12's do a very subtle job of taking away zing, and can be
used two, three, or more times as needed. Then thicker needles in the una
corda full and between positions.
    Touch up with these tools is fast, and lasts pretty well. I guess I have
"moderate heavy use," not like what Eric describes <G>, but I find that a
voicing touchup will last a few months before it is getting raucous again. I
find these thin needles especially effective in the high treble, where fat
needles just make woodpecker holes and are quite ineffective and
uncontrollable in changing tone color. I use these same techniques with
hard-pressed hammers as well.
    I guess I should add that these needle sizes are available in large
fabric stores, for embroidery or other special use. While you're there, you
can find nice circular wheel cutters of various diameters (Olfa and other
brands) and large cutting pads, an array of fine scissors, eyelet tools and
supplies, and lots of other handy stuff - yet another tool store to spend
money in <G>.
    About hammer longevity, I have a theory that needling style has a big
effect. I think there is a big difference between sudden jabbing and
relatively slow pressing of the needles into the felt. Jabbing tears far
more fibers than pressing. So jabbing will lead to more rapid wear. And with
Steinway, it's more a matter of diameter of needle. The narrower ones do a
lot less fiber tearing.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico