[CAUT] steinway reproducer

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Sep 15 07:35:30 MDT 2007

>I may be removing the action from a rebuilt Steinway reproducer
>tomorrow.   It has been awhile since I did this.   Any tips on how
>to go about it?

It'll take initially 45+ minutes to get the action out. About the
same to get it back together.

You'll get faster with practice.  :-(

Have screw containers handy to place each set of screws into. The
controls do not have to be removed but it is better to unscrew their
support brackets and let the levers drop below the keybed surface.
otherwise you have to slide/lift the action over them. Put all the
bracket screws into their own container. Control cover screws.
Control panel cover screws.

Put all the union block screws under the keyframe (remove the lyre
first) into their own container. You get the picture.

Same goes for the wind motor and spool box, etc. in front of the action.

For storage containers I use plastic milk bottles which have been cut
down to 2 or 3 inches.
This will speed up the reassembly process.

If the hoses are not already indexed to their respective nipples, do
so before you disconnect tubing.  The union at the bass side of the
action can be particularly problematic.
Especially so depending on the quality of the rebuild. Hopefully the
union faces will have new suede surfaces and the screws aren't
stripped.

But first and foremost, have the owner run the player through its
range of expression
to verify all is functioning well, 88 note rolls too.  You don't want
to hear, "It worked before you took it apart", even if that area of
function was not associated with your work.
Do you have a vacuum gage to test intensity and a test roll? The test
roll will have a chromatic repetition test. Always good to know
before you dismantle.

Regards,

Jon Page