[CAUT] The "new" S&S Hammers.

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Thu Sep 13 15:10:25 MDT 2007

I certainly bow to Ed Foote's expertise, but before doing this, I would
try pulling the action into my lap, and putting four drops of vodka directly
into the string grooves of each hammer. Four drops, not more, tapering to
less in the high treble. Leave it 1/2 hour and see what you get. Don't
get the alcohol into the shoulders, confine it to the string groove
area.

The point being, this is so extremely easy to try, and may make a big
difference with almost no time or money invested. You could try a
few notes to see what you are getting, and then do the rest if you liked it.
I haven't seen the new Steinway hammers, but this technique has worked
well for me with a wide variety of bright pianos, grand and upright,
fancy and plain.

Susan Kline