[CAUT] center pinning changes/ long pin method

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Thu Sep 13 11:54:17 MDT 2007

Fred,

Ask Jurgen to describe it because I do it differently than him. I DON'T pull it through the birdseye like Jurgen does. I tried it and it works, but I'm afraid of the long term effect on the wood. Jurgen uses the long pin as the actual pin, cut off to remain there. I don't do that either, but use it only as a burnisher.

Here's how I've been doing it;

The burnisher I use is 2 feet long with a ground tapered/smoothed point on one end for insertion and about 1 ½ inches in is a mild reamer (roll between two files, but not too rough). I push/pull the entire length through the bushings until I can "feel" it has the right friction. (Test w/gauge) This takes 2 or three tries to get used to. Sometimes I'll pull it through one time, sometimes it takes two or three to get the right friction. When you get this feel down you can go quickly (as fast as you can pull it through)

As I stated before, the beauty of this method seems to be that whatever friction you get is final. No "shaking down" needed or possible. My observations are that other methods seem to relax or loosen a gram or so, but not with this method.

I guess you could say I used a modified Mannino/Jurgen method. The important thing seems to be that the felt is "combed" one direction. I don't know whether this is bogus or not, but hope our student "scientists" can get an electron microscope pics of both kinds of bushings after each procedure. Seems to work for me!

Jim Busby