[CAUT] center pinning changes

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Sep 9 17:09:04 MDT 2007

At 16:14 -0600 9/9/07, Joe And Penny Goss wrote:

><G>
>An hour after a bath there is enough lanolin behind the ear to use as a
>lube.
>This is what my flute players to use to lube their flute joints.

In the case of the old Rudall Carte wooden flutes, one of which I
have, was a little round cocus-wood box that my old tutor, who would
now be 130 years old!, said was supposed to contain goose grease to
lubricate the cork joints.  Any connexion with Goose Juice? :-)

A little more on the graphite question:

I noticed as I just as I was finishing re-centring the Kirkman a
small black circle at the birds-eye on one side of the butt.  It
occurred to me that perhaps they twirled a blacklead pencil in the
boring before pushing in the pin.  I have another set from a scrapped
Kirkman of about the same age and will have a look to see if it is
the same.  This is an idea that never occurred to me but which seems
a good one.  It would ease the pin through the wood without polluting
the bushing with blacklead as Renner's and Detoa's rotten method
does.  I find a 4B pencil the most useful for general blackleading
but for this purpose I might experiment with a 6B or even softer.

JD