[CAUT] Pure Sound M scale

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Sep 5 18:22:08 MDT 2007

On 9/4/07 2:16 PM, "Jurgen Goering" <pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com> wrote:

> Of course all I do with regard to Pure Sound Wire is done with Juan
> Mas-Cabre's consent and support.  As the Pure Sound distributor for North
> America, it only makes sense.  Juan and I depend on each other.

Hi Jurgen,
    I was sure you must be doing it with Juan's consent, but was puzzled by
what I saw as inconsistency. Anyone can get a scale for any piano for free
(from Juan) with purchase of wire (additional @ $40). Anyone can get the
ones you have, including, as you say, Steinway M, L, and B, free with
purchase of sufficient wire. A scale won't do anybody any good without the
wire. I couldn't get my head around the idea of wanting to keep a scale
secret (not have it posted to caut) when it was obviously readily available
for free with the purchase of what was needed to use it. I'm still a little
puzzled, but I guess there is a difference between posting and archiving
something forever, and giving it to individuals.
    I really like and admire Juan a great deal. Meeting him at whichever
convention he attended and taught at (Dallas? Nashville?) was worth the
whole time and expense. Wonderful guy, passionate about pianos and
especially the high point of the piano: the mid to late 19th century. (Some
people will argue about that opinion, but it is certainly a position worthy
of serious consideration). He wanted a wire to use on that era of piano, to
bring that ideal of piano sound back to life. After great effort and
expense, he succeeded (I think that's a reasonable assertion), but the
market for wire for mid to late 19th century piano restoration (or
replication) wasn't enough to make the whole thing work financially. So now
he has got into promoting the notion of using the wire on modern pianos,
which is more viable if it catches on. I wish him all the best.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico